Thursday, September 20, 2012

New Day For You...

While I can't sing as well as Basia, it is a new day for me.

Today, I sent out the "last day" email to my fellow and former colleagues at Jacobs Engineering.  I have been on Company Convenience Leave for the past 40+ days (which is basically an unpaid furlough in which the company hopes to bring you back), and just couldn't wait anymore to determine whether or not it was going to happen for me.

For those who didn't know, I worked in the Global Buildings portion of Jacobs... a business division of the giant Jacobs, but for all practical purposes, an A/E firm within a giant EPC firm.  I did many things, but mostly around BIM (Building Information Modeling), Multi Office and Multi Discpline project execution, and other Operations things.

It was a good gig, and I got to meet a lot of great people and work on a bunch of cool projects.  But life goes on, and I was put on "CCL".  There was no guarantee they would bring me back, so I decided upon a new route.

So, as of Monday, I will be working at...Black and Veatch!  I'll be working in the Energy Division of B&V right here in the Kansas City area  (a 15-20 minute commute for me from my home in Olathe to Overland Park.)

It's a lot of different things, but basically, they've been doing what I would call BIM or "Intelligent 3D Design" for years, and I'm going to come help out and do what I do (project delivery, mentoring) across all disciplines, not just buildings.

I hope to keep doing what I am doing with many of the friends and business colleagues I've met and worked with over the past few years...and of course I'll be on Twitter.

I do want to thank all of those who supported me in my quest to find a new situation, those who went out on a limb to get me on board with their firm, those who gave ideas, and all of those who provided encouragement.

It's a new day for me...

No comments: